Last Thursday at Council the Lib Dems put forward a notice of motion to try to get the planning application to extend the airport to be a decision of the full council. They did this because it appears that they have been told to oppose the airport by their National Party. Currently 17 councillors decide planning applications, they have all attended special training sessions on planning and sit on planning to represent the Council and Town not their own wards or themselves. Because they sit on planning they do not comment in advance on any planning applications. The notice of motion was voted down but it was agreed to arrange for all cllrs to attend the planning meeting and to speak at the meeting if they wish. It was also agreed that a way would be found for all councillors in future, who have received the required training in planning, for very important planning applications to take the decision. Changing the procedure half way through the planning process is problematical as many other Cllrs have not received any training in planning and some have already spoken out about the airport.
- The views expressed on this blog are those of Anna Waite and do not represent the views of The Southend Conservative Group or the Conservative Associations.
- HMRC issue scam warning ahead of Self Assessment deadline this weekHMRC is reminding customers that Sunday, 31 October will be the deadline to submit paper tax returns.
- Covid UK: One in five people would support return to lockdown as cases riseA survey has suggested that one in five people in England would support a lockdown as Covid cases in the UK continue to increase.
- Sir David Amess MP: Funeral to be held at central London cathedralOfficial arrangements have now been revealed for the funeral of an MP who was killed.
- HMRC issue scam warning ahead of Self Assessment deadline this week
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Anna on Facebook